A descriptive essay is written to create an image in the minds of the readers by engaging their senses. If your reader can visualize what you have written, then it is a successful descriptive essay.
If you want to know more about writing a descriptive essay, this blog discusses how to write a descriptive essay, step by step.
1. How to Write a Descriptive Essay
To write a good descriptive essay, it is important to follow a structured essay outline and steps. Here are the steps to write a descriptive essay that will help you keep your thoughts organized and create a smooth flow in your essay.
1.1 Choose a Topic
A descriptive essay is written on a single event, place, person or object. While choosing your topic, focus on how you will convey your message and let the readers visualize every word of your essay.
Here is a list of best 80 descriptive essay topics. Review the list to choose a topic for your essay.
For this, your essay should have engaging and interesting tone, that appeals to the senses and makes the reader see what you want them to see. If you have chosen an event as your topic, write down your essay in a chronological manner. If you are writing about a person or a place, mention every little and specific detail in your essay.
1.2 Create an Outline
Creating a structured outline might seem like an extra step, but this step will save a lot of your time. Once you have created your outline, you will consume less time in writing your essay. List down what you are going to discuss in each paragraph of your essay and you are good to go
Typically, a standard format of five paragraph essay is followed for writing a descriptive essay, including an introduction, body paragraphs and conclusion.
1.3 How to Write a Descriptive Essay Introduction
Start your essay with an interesting hook to grab the attention of your readers. Though, the entire essay needs to be filled with exciting description, but getting your reader’s attention from the beginning is very important.
Provide some background information related to your topic in the introductory paragraph. This will help the readers understand and visualize the story in a better way. Explain the reason for choosing your topic and why is it significant.
End the introduction of your essay with a strong thesis statement.
1.4 How to Write a Thesis Statement for a Descriptive Essay
A thesis statement is the most important part of an essay. This single statement contains the crux and purpose of writing the essay.
The thesis statement sets the tone of the essay by mentioning the main idea, or theme, that is going to be discussed further in the essay. It is usually written at the end of the introductory paragraph. Therefore, you can say that the introduction will create a framework for your essay.
1.5 Add Cohesive Body Paragraphs
Usually, there are three body paragraphs in a descriptive essay. Each paragraph discusses a different point related to the topic. But the number of body paragraphs can vary according to the topic.
Start each paragraph with a topic sentence. Explain that topic sentence in the paragraph. Include every little information while writing a descriptive essay. No matter how tiny the detail is, it will be important to the readers when they are creating the image of your essay in their head.
1.6 End with a Remarkable Descriptive Essay Conclusion
While writing the descriptive essay conclusion, restate the thesis statement in the last paragraph. Remind the readers why did you choose the topic what is the main theme and idea. Mention the significance of your topic and what did you learn from that specific incident.
Your conclusion needs to be precise, yet powerful, to create a lasting impression on the readers. Click here for a detailed descriptive essay outline, outline example and template.
1.7 Review and Proofread
Once you are done writing, review the entire essay. Think from the reader’s point of view and if your essay will make sense to him.
You can take help from a family member or a friend in this step of essay writing. Ask your friend to read your essay and check if it was easy for him to visualize every detail that you have mentioned. If not, revisit your essay and make changes by elaborating your story.
Don’t forget to check the grammar, punctuation and sentence structure of your essay.
This was a general guideline to write a descriptive essay. Continue reading if you want to know about how to write a descriptive essay about a person, place or a picture.
2. How to Write a Descriptive Essay About a Person
At first, choose the person who is going to be the main subject of your essay. You can also choose a historical personality as your topic. Following are the steps you can follow to write a descriptive essay about a person.
- Start with the physical appearance of the person.
- Mention his facial features, weight, hair color, complexion, height, eye color, clothes, etc.
- Write down some typical traits and manners of the person.
- If you are writing about a famous person, choose the traits that have always been discussed. It would help the readers understand your writing from the beginning.
- If you are writing about a famous personality, you can read what famous historians have written about their personality.
- Also, mention the emotional characteristics of your topic.
3. How to Write a Descriptive Essay About a Place
To write a descriptive essay about a place is easier as compared to that of the writing of person. Here is how you can write a descriptive essay about a place.
- Mention the physical location of the place you are discussing.
- This would be easier as you will be relying on your memory.
- However, remember that the readers have not been to that place.
- Mention every precise detail of that location in your essay.
- You can choose places that have some emotional connection with your memories, like the house you grew up in, your high school, a festival you went to, etc.
- Mention in your essay how that specific location made you feel for readers to understand your emotions.
4. How to Write a Descriptive Essay About a Picture
To write a descriptive essay about a picture, you have to describe the picture in your words for the readers to repaint it in their mind.
- First of all, choose an image of your choice. If you are already given one, then you don’t have to worry about this part.
- Take your time and carefully look at the picture first. You need to analyze it before you start writing.
- Your readers will be expecting a detailed description, including critical analysis and not just what is visible to the eye.
- Don’t just describe what you see in the picture. Use all five senses to explain it for the readers to visualize it better.
Writing a descriptive essay is an easy task. It can be based on fiction stories as well. Therefore, the writer has to use his imagination to create a powerful image of the topic with his writing.